Skip to content    
Roads and Maritime ServicesRoads and Maritime Services
  1. Home
  2. Maritime Infrastructure
  3. Maritime Lighthouse Lights
Bookmark and Share

Maritime Lighthouse Lights

Maritime is keeping the lights burning in 13 lighthouses along the coast. These safety beacons have served the seafaring community over many decades and although their role as navaids is now shared with modern shipboard satellite navigation systems, Maritime recognises their historic and ongoing invaluable role and will continue to ensure they are operational in all conditions.

Maritime is responsible for the light operation and power systems of the following lighthouses from north to south along the coast:

Most of these lights were transferred from the Commonwealth to Maritime in 1997 and 2004 as advances in navigation technology, especially from satellites, lessened the role of lighthouses in shipping safety. With the Commonwealth reducing its stake in lighthouses, Maritime stepped in to preserve the unique heritage, tradition and basic safety function they continue to provide the boating community.

Click on the photo thumbnail to obtain a larger view.

Download a map of the location of the 13 lighthouses jointly managed by Maritime.

Lighthouse Description Location Height Light Range Year Built Photo

Point Danger

The Captain Cook Memorial Lighthouse at Point Danger was built to commemorate the bicentennial of Captain Cook’s voyage along the East Coast of Australia.

Lat. 28°10' S Long. 153°33 ' E

20 m

10 nm

1971

Point Danger Lighthouse

Fingal Head

Even though the Fingal Head light tower is not high and it is built on a low headland the light is effective as it is built on one of the most easterly points of Australia with plenty of deep water offshore.

Latitude 28°12.2' S, Longitude 153°34.3' E

7 Metres

White 17 Nautical Miles; Red 14 Nautical Miles

1872

Fingal Head Lighthouse

Ballina Head

The Ballina Head lighthouse was built in 1880, making it one of the oldest lighthouses in Australia.

Latitude 28°52' S , Longitude 153°36' E

7 metres

17 nm

1879

Ballina Head Lighthouse

Evans Head

It is on the headland east of the mouth of the Evans River, fairly elevated and serving the purpose of a lighthouse albeit a small one of not a grand structure.

Latitude 29° 07.2’ S. Longitude 153° 26.8' E

4 metres

White 9 nm
Red 7 nm

1975

Evans Head Lighthouse

Tacking Point

In 1879 a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1000 candelas was erected on Tacking Point.

Latitude 31° 28.7 S. Longitude 152° 56.2 E

8 metres

16 nautical miles

1879

Tacking Point Lighthouse

Crowdy Head

The Crowdy Head Lighthouse was built in 1878 with a fixed catadioptric light of less than 1,000 candelas.

Lat. 31° 50.7' S, Long. 152° 45.3' E

7 metres

White 16 nm Red 13 nm

1878

Crowdy Head Lighthouse

Point Stephens

It is located either on Fingal Point or Fingal Island depending on whether it is low or high tide.

Latitude 32° 44.9'S, Longitude 152° 12.2'E

21m

17 nautical miles

1862

Point Stephens Lighthouse

Norah Head

The Norah Head Lighthouse has an unusual lens that rotates in an enclosed mercury bath.

Latitude 33° 16.9' S. Longitude 151° 34.7' E

27 metres

26 nautical miles

1903

Norah Head Lighthouse

Barranjoey Head

Built to help guide ships into Broken Bay, Barrenjoey Lighthouse is one of the few that are open to the public. National Parks and Wildlife Service conducts tours of the lighthouse and its grounds.

Latitude 33° 34.8' S, Longitude 151° 19.7' E

20 metres

12 nautical miles

1881

Barrenjoey Head Lighthouse

Kiama

The light was established in 1887, 10 years after the creation of the Robertson Basin, a manmade harbour to service Kiama.

Latitude 34°40.4' S. Longitude 150°51.7' E

15 metres

17 nautical miles

1867

Kiama Lighthouse

Warden Head

It was made of curved wrought iron plates riveted together to form a shell, similar to some Queensland, South Australian and Western Australian lighthouses.

Latitude 35° 22' S, Longitude 150° 29.5' E

12 Metres

14 nm

1869

Warden Head Lighthouse

Brush Island

Brush Island Light is situated on the Tasman Sea which is part of the South Pacific Ocean in southeast of New South Wales.

Latitude: 35° 31.9’ S Longitude: 150° 25.0’ E

2 metres

8 nm

1967

Burrewarra Point

The Burrewarra Lighthouse was first exhibited in 1974 and was powered from batteries charged from the mains.

Latitude 35°50' S , Longitude 150°14' E

10 Metres

9 nm

1974

Burrewarra Point Lighthouse


Photos sourced from:

www.lighthouses.org.au

Email Us Reduce font size Increase font size Print this page Go to top of this page  Bookmark and Share